Children’s Book Week Bookmark Contest 2014: Celebrate Children’s Book Week (May 12 – 18, 2014) by designing a bookmark promoting the library’s summer reading club theme, “PAWS to Read.” Instructions and a template are available starting Monday, 4/14 at the Youth Services desk for K-8th grades. First place winners in each age category (K-2, 3-5 and 6-8) will receive $20 cash and the grand prize winning bookmark will be distributed in the 3 school districts and at the library. Bookmarks must be turned in by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 5, 2014.
Superhero Party: Calling all superheroes–We need YOU to protect our library! Test your powers and strength with activities and crafts on Saturday, 4/26 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. For all ages.
El Día Drop-In Crafts: Celebrate The Day of the Child by making something special. Drop in and decorate maracas, create papel picado and make your own piñata! All ages welcome on Thursday, 5/1 from 3:15-4:30 p.m.
Care and Share Clothing Exchange:Bring in freshly laundered, new or gently used clothing in children’s sizes 2T to size 10 by Thursday, 5/8 and get vouchers to spend at the Care and Share Clothing Exchange on Saturday, 5/10 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Remix Our Books: Have you ever wanted to “redecorate” a library book before and make it your own? Kids in 3rd through 6th grades finally get the chance! We’ll provide the books, you just need to show up on Wednesday, 6/11 from 12:00-1:00 p.m.
Dads ‘n’ Donuts: Dads and Granddads, bring your little ones in for a delicious morning of stories, followed by donuts and coffee, with juice for the kids. All ages welcome on Saturday, 6/14 from 9:30-10:00 a.m. Call 847.872.4680, ext. 5 or click here to register.
Incredible Bats! All ages are invited to this incredible bat show on Wednesday, 6/18 from 2:00-3:00 p.m. Daniel and Sharon Peterson will bring their Egyptian Fruit Bats to teach us how beneficial bats are to the world around us.
We’re in a Book! A Piggie and Elephant Party: Kids and adults are invited to celebrate with Piggie and Elephant, while enjoying a story and a Piggie and Elephant inspired craft on Saturday, 6/28 from 10:00-11:00 a.m.
Monday Movie: Grab your snacks and join us for an afternoon movie for the whole family! Guaranteed laughs and fun for all ages on Monday, 6/30 from 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- After School Program: The Zion Community Focus Group provides free supervised homework help and tutoring to students from 4:00-6:00 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. The After School Program does not meet on 5/1 or 5/26.
- Chess Night: Everyone is invited to play the world’s oldest war game and meet new people. Bring your own chess set or use one of ours. All ages and skill levels are welcome. Wednesdays, 4/23, 5/14, 5/28, 6/11 and 6/25 from 6:30-8:00 p.m.
It’s a Fish Fry: Preschoolers up to age six and their parents are invited to a picnic in our fish bowl! Dress up as a fish, if you wish. We’ll have games and a story–you bring your lunch or snack, and we’ll provide drinks! Saturday, 5/3 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Call 847.872.4680, ext. 5 or click here to register.
Storytimes: These fun-filled half-hour sessions offer stories, fingerplays and music. Adults are given instruction and take-home sheets on child development and early literacy skills.
- Busy Bees Bunch: For kids up to age 3. Mondays at 6:00PM and Tuesdays at 10:30AM from 6/2 to 6/24. Busy Bees Bunch is designed for one child and one parent, grandparent, or caregiver. Registration is requested. Call 847.872.4680, x5 or click here to register.
- Stories and More: For kids ages 3 to 6 on Mondays at 10:30AM, Tuesdays at 9:30AM and Thursdays at 6:30PM from 6/2 to 6/26.
Show Off Your Stuffie!: Preschoolers, up to age six, can show off their favorite stuffed animal in this fun contest! We’ll have games and prizes for participants, their animal and their grown-ups on Saturday, 6/7 from 11:00AM to 12:15PM. Since all “stuffies” are special, each one will be a winner in some category! Call 847.872.4680, ext. 5 or click here to register.
For Kids in K-4th Grades
It’s Show Time!: Join us for Fairy Tale Theater on Wednesday, 4/23 from 3:15-4:15 p.m. If you think you know your fairy tales, you haven’t seen our versions!
Honesty Day: On Wednesday, 4/30, create a story to tell and listen to other stories. Is the story true or made up? You be the judge! From 3:15-4:15 p.m.
Doc McStuffins Pet Hospital: Kids in K-4th grades can bring their stuffed pals to our Pet Hospital on Wednesday, 6/25 from 1:00-2:00 p.m. for a check-up. Doctor visits should be fun, so kids can make a stethoscope and play Pin the Band-Aid on Lambie.
American Girl Program Series: Registration is required. Register online or call 847.872.4680, x5.
- Kirsten’s May Day: Celebrate a Swedish Spring Day. Dress up in your finest spring outfit and bring your favorite doll for crafts and treats on Saturday, 5/10 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Click here to register online.
- Happy Birthday Addy: Celebrate Addy’s Birthday on Saturday, 6/21 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Dress up in your best birthday dress and bring your favorite doll for crafts and treats. Click here to register online.
Junior Hardcover Society
Readers in 3rd and 4th grades are invited to this monthly book discussion group on Mondays, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. The first four to register at the Youth Services desk with a parent or guardian will get a free book!
- 5/12: The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo – The adventure of Desperaux Tilling, a small mouse of unusual talents, the princess that he loves, the servant girl who longs to be a princess, and a devious rat determined to bring them all to ruin.
- 6/9: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate -When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.
Guys in K-8th grades will read awesome books and talk ‘em over with other dudes. Hang out, munch on snacks and have fun playing games on Tuesdays, 5/20 and 6/17 from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Kids – If you’ve ever been tempted to stay up all night reading a good book, then this club is for you! Night Owls meets on Tuesdays and we’re sure to have a hoot!
- 4/22: We’ll start with a book from Matt Christopher’s Soccer `Cats series, where boys and girls are on the same team! Share your favorite sports book or title from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- 5/27: We’ll read something by Laura Numeroff from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- 6/24: We’ll read Bill Martin’s Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? from 2:00-3:00 p.m.