Let’s Talk about Bullying: Bullying…what is it all about? Is it just all in good fun when it’s at the expense of another person’s feelings? All ages are invited to watch a movie and discuss ways we can make our world a better place. Join us Wednesday, 3/12 from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Home School Expo: Students will present a project to peers, family and friends on Monday, 3/24 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. Display a craft or artwork, play an instrument, give a speech or demonstrate a special skill. Everyone is welcome to support our local home school students by attending. Students, please register to present. Call 847.872.4680, ext. 5 or click here to register.
Concert to Celebrate the Earth: Join us and celebrate Earth Month with a special concert, sponsored by SWALCO. An environmental “ambassador” and talented musician, Jack Kaufmann has been entertaining audiences for more than 20 years. All ages will enjoy this environmentally focused, award winning, music and multi-media event; emotionally captivating, educational, joyful and powerful. Bring your family, friends and neighbors on Wednesday, 4/9 from 7:00-8:30 p.m. Click here to register.
Children’s Book Week Bookmark Contest 2014: Celebrate Children’s Book Week (May 12 – 18, 2014) by designing a bookmark promoting the library’s summer reading club theme, “PAWS to Read.” Instructions and a template are available starting April 14 at the Youth Services desk for K-8th grades. First place winners in each age category (K-2, 3-5 and 6-8) will receive $20 cash and the grand prize winning bookmark will be distributed in the 3 school districts and at the library. Bookmarks must be turned in by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 5, 2014.
Superhero Party: Calling all superheroes–We need YOU to protect our library! Test your powers and strength with activities and crafts on Saturday, 4/26 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. For all ages.
Celebrate Spring Break!
Battle Bunny Bash: Here is your chance to creating your own story out of an old one! We’ll read Battle Bunny by Jon Scieszka and then create our own Battle Bunny stories. For kids in K-8th grade on Monday, 3/24 from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
Getting Excited About Science: Steve Belliveau uses large props, music, humor, and audience participation in this fast paced science show that spells FUN for kids in K-4th grades on Tuesday, 3/25 from 1:30-2:30 p.m.
GAMES! GAMES! GAMES!: SORRY, we’ll try to keep you out of TROUBLE. Bet you’ll play more than UNO! Join us for fun with board games, card games, and of course…Wii games! For kids in K-8thgrades on Wednesday, 3/26 from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
WTTW Kids Readers Are Leaders: Join us for a FREE, fun-filled WTTW Kids Readers Are Leaders performance, featuring Miss Lori’s CAMPUS. Shows will include singing, fun activities and free children’s books for the first 100 children who attend. Families and school groups are welcome on Thursday, 3/27 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Mother Daughter Tea: Anne of Green Gables is getting a cover makeover! Share the story of Anne with your daughter by picking up a free copy at the youth services desk beginning March 1st. Then join us for a party with crafts, games and snacks on Thursday, March 27 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Click here to register.
Spring Break Movie: Kids in K-8th grades are invited to bring a snack and enjoy Dreamwork’s The Croods on Saturday, 3/29 from 1:00-3:00 P.M.
- After School Program: The Zion Community Focus Group provides free supervised homework help and tutoring to students from 4:00-6:00 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Chess Night: Everyone is invited to play the world’s oldest war game and meet new people. Bring your own chess set or use one of ours. All ages and skill levels are welcome. Wednesdays, 3/12, 3/26, 4/9 and 4/23 from 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Creative Crocheters: Kids with intermediate skills meet on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Click here to register for 3/20. Click here to register for 4/17.
- Hooked on Yarn: Beginners learn basic crocheting skills on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Click here to register for 3/6. Click here to register for 4/3.
Get your child ready to read in these half-hour sessions with stories, fingerplays and music.
Busy Bees Bunch: For kids up to age 3 on Mondays at 6:00 p.m.and Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. Session II runs through 3/11.
Registration is recommended, as this program is designed for one child and one caregiver. Register online or call 847.872.4680, x5. Click here for the online calendar and choose the day you wish to register for.
Stories and More: For kids ages 3 to 6 on Mondays at 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m. and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Sessions run to 3/20.
The Crafty Fox: The crafty fox brings something fun for kids up to age 6 to create and take home on Monday, 3/17 from 6:00-6:30 p.m. and Tuesday, 3/18 from 10:30-11:00 a.m.
For Kids in K-4th Grades
- Mad Science: Make a project to take home. On 3/5, we’ll explore volcanoes and on 4/2, we’ll make slime and play dough.
- Around the World: We can go anywhere with a book or story. We’ll discover Finland on 3/12 and head north to Canada on 4/9.
- ICE—Imagine, Create and Experiment: On 3/19, dream up a story to tell in honor of National Storytelling Day and on 4/16 make your own paper kite.
- It’s Show Time!: Join us for Fairy Tale Theater on 4/23. If you think you know your fairy tales, you haven’t seen our versions!
- Honesty Day: On 4/30, create a story to tell and listen to other stories. Is the story true or made up? You be the judge!
American Girl Program Series: Registration is required. Register online or call 847.872.4680, x5.
- Mardi Gras Celebration: Let the good times roll with Cécile and Marie-Grace at our Mardi Gras Celebration. Dress up in your finest costume and bring your favorite doll for crafts and treats on Saturday, 3/15 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Click here to register.
- Josefina’s Spring Treasure: Create new memories with Josefina! Dress-up in your best spring outfit and bring your favorite doll to create your own mini memory trinket and other crafts on Saturday, 4/12 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Click here to register.
Junior Hardcover Society
3/10 - Flight of the Red Band it by Geronimo Stilton. Click here to register.
In #56 of the Geronimo Stilton series, Grandfather Shortpaws sends Geronimo Stilton on a hunt for his old friend, the Red Bandit, in Arizona. See more….
4/14 – Mr. Jack is a Maniac by Dan Gutman. Click here to register.
In this tenth book in the outrageously funny My Weirder School series, Principal Klutz thinks the kids at Ella Mentry School need to learn some self-defense moves. But the guy he hired–Mr. Jack–thinks he’s an action hero! He spends all his time looking in the mirror. He does everything in slow motion. How are the kids supposed to learn anything? See more….
Guys in K-8th grades will read awesome books and talk ‘em over with other dudes. Hang out, munch on snacks and have fun playing games on Tuesdays, 3/18 and 4/15 from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Kids – If you’ve ever been tempted to stay up all night reading a good book, then this club is for you! Night Owls meet on Tuesday, 4/22 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. We’ll start with a book from Matt Christopher’s Soccer `Cats series, where boys and girls are on the same team! Share your favorite sports book or title. We’re sure to have a hoot!