Liefde (Love) and Lullabies: Join us for a special story time with local author Cynthia Lincke. She will read her books My Mommy’s Heart and My Daddy’s Heart, which are illustrated by her 11-year old daughter Jennesa. There will also be singing and dancing! Everyone is welcome on Tuesday, 9/9 from 11:15-11:45 a.m. Click here for details.
Meet Curious George: Come and meet Curious George! We’ll have stories, crafts, and more. Curious George will be available for photos following the program, so get your cameras ready! Everyone is welcome on Saturday, 9/27 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Click here for details.
Spy School: Kids in kindergarten through 8th grades can drop in to learn some spy skills on Monday, 10/13 from 1:00-2:30 p.m. Discover how to create hidden messages, write in code, and find fingerprints! Also learn about some great Spy reads. Click here for details.
Sugar Skulls: Volunteers of the Academia Cultural Xilotl will be conducting a “Calaveritas de Azúcar” decoration workshop as well as educating you on the traditional Hispanic celebration, Day of the Dead. Everyone is invited to come learn more about Day of the Dead and decorate their own candy skull. There will also be storytelling and face painting! Everyone is welcome on Saturday, 10/25 from 2:30-4:30 p.m. Registration is recommended. Call 847.872.4680, ext. 5 or click here to register.
- After School Program: Volunteers provide free tutoring, homework help, and literacy activities on Mondays and Thursdays from 4:00-6:00 p.m. This year, students will Take a Journey in a Book, beginning 9/8. Click here for details.
- Bilingual Children: Children between the ages of 3-8 years old can learn another language in our interactive story time. Kids will learn by playing, creating, and exploring on Tuesdays, 9/23 & 10/21 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. Click here for details.
- Chess Night: Everyone is invited to play the world’s oldest war game and meet new people. Bring your own chess set or use one of ours. All ages and skill levels are welcome. Wednesdays, 8/27, 9/10, 9/24, 10/8 and 10/22 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. Click here for details.
- Creative Crocheters: Kids in 4th through 8th grades can build on their skills with this more advanced group on Thursdays, 8/21, 9/18 and 10/16 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Click here for details.
- Explore Your World: Calling all explorers in kindergarten through 4th grades! Each week brings a new adventure as we explore the world around us on Wednesdays, starting 9/10 from 3:15-4:15 p.m. We’ll explore bridges, build with Legos, craft with paper, practice drama, and learn about frogs, butterflies, snakes, and lizards! Click here for details.
- Hooked on Yarn: Kids in 4th through 8th grades will learn basic crocheting skills on Thursdays, 9/4 and 10/2 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Click here for details.
Storytimes: These fun-filled half-hour sessions offer stories, fingerplays and music. Adults are given instruction and take-home sheets on child development and early literacy skills.
Busy Bees Bunch: For kids up to age 3. Mondays at 6:00 p.m. and Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. Busy Bees Bunch is designed for one child and one parent, grandparent, or caregiver. Registration is requested. Call 847.872.4680, x5 or click here to register.
- Fall Session I: 9/15 to 10/7.
- Fall Session II: 10/27 to 11/18.
Stories and More: For kids ages 3 to 6 on Mondays at 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m. and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., 9/15 through 11/20. Click here for details.
The Crafty Fox: The crafty fox brings something fun for kids (up to age 6) to create and take home on Monday, 10/13 from 6:00-6:30 p.m. and Tuesday, 10/14 from 10:30-11:00 a.m. Click here for details.
For kids in K-8th grades and a parent/guardian. Registration is required. Register online or call 847.872.4680, x5.
- SPECIAL—Growing, Learning, and Embracing the Butterfly in Me: Special guests and local author Cynthia Lincke will educate young girls on the importance of making healthy choices, using the arts, fitness, beauty, and much more. Be prepared tocreate and explore as we give you the tools to fuel yourconfidence and beauty within. Bring your favorite doll for crafts and treats on Saturday, 9/13 from 2:00-4:00 p.m. Click here to register.
- Rhoda Solves a Mystery:Dress-up in your best detective outfit as we follow the clues to a chilling mystery. Bring your favorite doll for crafts and treats, and register for a chance to win Pepper on Saturday, 10/11 from 2:00-3:00 p.m. Click here to register.
Junior Hardcover Society
Readers in 3rd through 5th grades are invited to this monthly book discussion group on Mondays, from 4:30-5:30 p.m. The first three to register at the Youth Services desk with a parent or guardian will get a free book!
- 9/8: The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes – Seven-year-old Billy Miller starts second grade with a bump on his head and a lot of worries, but by the end of the year he has developed good relationships with his teacher, his little sister, and his parents and learned many important lessons. Click here for details.
- 10/20: Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo – Rescuing a squirrel after an accident involving a vacuum cleaner, comic-reading cynic Flora Belle Buckman is astonished when the squirrel, Ulysses, demonstrates astonishing powers of strength and flight after being revived. Click here for details.
Guys in K-8th grades will read awesome books and talk ‘em over with other dudes. Hang out, munch on snacks and have fun playing games on Tuesdays, 8/19, 9/16, & 10/7 from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Click here for details.
Kids – If you’ve ever been tempted to stay up all night reading a good book, then this club is for you! Night Owls meets on Tuesdays from 3:30-4:30 p.m. and we’re sure to have a hoot!
- 8/26: This month belongs to Eric Carle and his art. We’ll read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and more. Click here for details.
- 9/30: We’ll be reading If I Built A House by Chris Van Dusen. You’ll get to design your ideal house and more. Click here for details.
- 10/28: We’ll start a book by Nic Bishop. Click here for details.
Earn prizes and vote for your favorite books! Register at the Youth Services desk starting Saturday, 9/27 and pick up your reading list of these award-winning books. Readers can win prizes for reading 5, 10, 15 or 20 books before 1/31/15.
Monarch Award Club: The club is for readers in K through 3rd grades and is designed to encourage children to read critically and become familiar with children’s books, authors and illustrators. Click here for the 2015 Monarch Award Reading List.
Bluestem Award Club: Named in honor of Big Bluestem, the state prairie grass, this club is for readers in 3rd through 5th grades. Click here for the 2015 Bluestem Award Reading List.
Win With Reading: Readers in 4th through 8th grades to earn prizes and vote for their favorite books. Click here for the 2015 Win With Reading List.